Wednesday 4 May 2011

Punchestown - 05/05/11

16.50 I think I'm one of the few that enjoys Cross Country races as there's plenty of negativity on the various forums about them. The form always seems pretty solid to me and I think they're a great spectacle.
Obviously Garde Champetre is the horse to beat and he's actually getting some weight from two rivals. At 1/3 he doesn't appeal particularly as he's never raced on firm ground. To try and find some eachway value is difficult. Outlaw Pete won here over a shorter distance earlier in the week in a bizarre race where three horses ran out. However he was hampered about halfway round dropped back to last and had to make up the ground to win. The fact that JT McNamara is on board is a big plus because he takes the shortest way round. He clearly had a race two days ago so you have to trust that the trainer won't run him if he's not happy with him. He has raced with just 8 days between races before so he can do it and I'll think he'll stay an extra mile because they don't tend to go very quick in these types of races. If he can stay over a competitive 3m PTP he should be OK in this. I'm quite tempted by the 7/1 available. Let The Show Begin was in the same race earlier in the week and was running well when he ran out. There was still a long way to go though. He was reasonably well fancied and has a handy 5 pound pull and will obviously be fresher than Outlaw Pete. The jockey worries me a bit though, he has won a few races but none at Punchestown 0-18. Too many ifs and buts for me to get involved at 8/1. Out of the rest Headsontheground seems have lost his way and Another Jewel is not in the same league as Garde Champetre and could probably do with cut in the ground, however, he will probably fill a place. The others shouldn't be capable of winning this.

Outlaw Pete 0.5 pts e/w 7/1 Boylesports BOG

17.30 I'm opposing Quevega because I think odds on is too short against some decent performers like Mourad. I think this is a far stronger race than the Mares Hurdle was at Cheltenham. The one that's caught my eye at a ridiculous price is Oscar Dan Dan (40/1). Fifth in this last year at 12/1, you could argue his form is slightly better this year. Consistent, has won on the course, goes on the ground and is possibly better over three miles than the two and a half he's been running over recently. Obviously he'll need Quevega and Mourad to underperform to win but I think he's got a reasonable chance of a place. I also think Rigour Back Bob is overpriced at 16/1.

Oscar Dan Dan 0.5 pts e/w 40/1 Betfred BOG

18.05 Alfa Beat is thrown in here. I'll be surprised if the 7/2 lasts long.

Alfa Beat 1 point win 7/2 Boylesports BOG

In the 18.40 Captain Chris will be hard to beat but I won't be playing at odds on.

No comments:

Post a Comment