Sunday 31 July 2011

Bookmaker woes

Over the last few years I've managed to turn around my betting. From the ages of 14 to 35 I regularly lost. I'll bet on most things (mistake number 1) but the only betting medium I think have a slight edge in is horseracing over the jumps. From my mid thirties to forty I think I more or less broke even. The internet, betfair and best odds guaranteed have contributed to this. At the age of 42 over the last couple of years I'm in front - not a lot but in front. The two bookies who have most contributed to this are Betfred and Bet365. I like the concessions that both these bookies offer and that's why I've used them most. So far so good with Bet365.
Betfred is a different story. They've limited my winnings to £100 or £200 per bet depending on the price and some other variables I don't understand. Not a massive deal to me as I don't stake a lot except that I've always preferred backing long shots to shorties.
Last weekend I fancied a bet on the German Grand Prix. I dip in and out of the sport but generally I think the betting market underestimates the skill of some drivers on some circuits especially when weather is changeable. Rubens Barrichello was a top price 250/1 (with Betfred) to finish on the podium which I thought was value (others were 150/1 and below).
Unfortunately I couldn't get a bet on with Betfred because their minimum bet online is 50 pence and this took me over the maximum return threshold.

I'm really not sure why my 50 pence is not welcomed by Betfred over someone else's but it annoys me a little. Ideally I'd have staked a fiver - unfortunately Ladbrokes got it instead at 150/1. Obviously Rubens retired fairly early on.

No comments:

Post a Comment